Saturday, June 29, 2024

Laurie Byro


Margaret's Green Man


In summer, the stream slows enough

for the nimble to wade. River rocks

create a path for dragonflies

and damsels to rest.

Chalky blue with crazy neon eyes,

we watch them flit and hover, too

exhausted to mate.


Their eyes are like berries the Green Man

favors. You, who won't believe,

smile when I speak of his visitations.

December, he trails me, inevitably

seduces the part of me

that still believes in demons.


Watching these creatures,

I think of my mother’s mother, Margaret.

It would be simple to say nothing,

to reach for your hand.

"Listen," I say, while they fly in closer

to hear. "Margaret had six children

and seven more pregnancies.

She used coat hangers."


You lift me up, move me into sunlight.

A hummingbird lands

on a doily of Queen Anne's Lace.

"He held a gun under her breast

those nights she didn't want to.

He was a cop."


You shudder, ask me

why I am spoiling our walk, why

the Green Man must have his way.

"It's the dragons" I say,

as they chase each other, flashing red.

"She told us as kids, they could

darn our lips shut if we dared

tell on them.”


My hand covers my mouth.


Dean Okamura

That helping hand Black affluence ... Black homeowners ... Black-owned banks ... Black Wall Street — A 19-year-old Black man stumbles,...