Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Ace Boggess


Face


Each dry cough is an angel of death.

Don’t touch your face, the experts say.

I touch my face with passion-

ate nervousness. I’m a dead man

lounging in sweatpants, ghost

waiting to join the world of ghosts.

My eyes itch. I’m not supposed to

thumb them numb, but do. I do & do &

watch the neighbor check her mail

five hundred feet away. Perhaps

we will trade deaths one day.

I rub my chin—not the beginning

of the end. Prison would be easier:

there, you see the fist that takes you down.

 

 



Danger


                Statewide Lockdown, Day Twenty-three


            1.


Listened to songbirds triangulate

the focus of a hawk above.

They bounced their signals

near to far to elsewhere,

safe on branches in the nearby woods.

 

            2.


Michigan protesters marched,

denouncing their state’s stay-at-home order,

defying it, passing a ladle

of arsenic broth to see who’ll drink.

 

            3.


Hawk wrote a lowercase ‘m’ in the air,

a letter for me & mine,

demanding food from the chow line.

It circled like a mako shark.

 

            4.

 

How many will die from arrogance,

gathering to air their grievances?

Same in Kentucky & Ohio,

states so close to mine

they could lay their poisoned hands upon me here.

 





Statewide Lockdown, Day Twenty-Five


Of three readings canceled since the virus,

today would’ve been my last:

north to Morgantown where acquaintances

would buy my signature on the title page.

 

Hard to sell books by hand

when hands are nightmare serpents,

or read aloud while voice spews

rot of a corpse flower blooming.

 

Wonder if I’ll survive to reschedule,

step to the mic, offer opening words in jest,

to a packed house, people elbow-knocked in rows,

wearing hats & holding onto colorful umbrellas.


Laurie Byro

Margaret's Green Man In summer, the stream slows enough for the nimble to wade. River rocks create a path for dragonflies and damsels to...