Sunday, August 11, 2024

Kimberly Cobian


Buried Books


I read people like banned books

Unafraid to know their secrets

And revelations printed on their faces

There’s nothing you will say that will shock me

Thrilling me to read more

If culture is only skin deep

Then your skin is made of glass

Some people say wait, you’re not dark

Enough to understand my struggle

Are you sure?

As another human in this race

We are all competing for respect

I’m an aquarium, tap the glass

I’m full of the bloods of our ancestors

Like watercolors swashed in distant shores

Buckled to memories as old as Pangaea

When I open my mouth, empathy pours out

Language is my nectar

The antidote to the monachopsis of existence 

Borders drawn there by racism

We all have a word for love

Even the voiceless

Eternal truth unspoken 

No need because it is felt by all

You know because your body gives it 

To remind us it took a pandemic

How connected we are

Standing a grave’s depth apart

To admire each other like works of art.


Michelle Smith

 “We are the Flowers that Bloom”   We are the flowers that bloom Behind the gate Planted firmly There should be no sorrow At nig...