Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Ale Roggero


the stranger


my mother dislikes me because I’m strange

because I have this pen and it’s breaking my skin

its ink comes from my ears and pores

and I just can’t stop running my mouth

and even when I’m tired, my veins and

the tremor in my hand do it for me


I was my mother’s “easier birth”, 

her last birth 

I was her birthday gift, 

born on the 2nd of March and her on the 8th

she used to tell me I came out of her 

with a bow on my head,

that she always wanted a daughter 


my mother thinks I’m strange because I can

name all the capitals and states, 

every love story in contemporary American fiction

can tell you in 10 words or less why God

put me here on this Earth 

and I can tell you right now that it wasn’t 

to be a daughter

it was to be a shapeshifter, 

a chameleon 


my mother thinks I’m strange because 

I can be whatever I want to be

because my words sting like my father’s and 

I can’t keep things to myself 

because I’m not afraid to roll the dice or be honest

I’m not afraid of you–people knowing 

exactly who I am,

reveling in my vulnerability


my mother thinks I’m strange because 

there is someone out there at least one

that sees perfection in me despite her opinions

my mother thinks I’m strange because I don’t care

don’t care if my partner is a trash man or a doctor

love is enough 


she thinks I’m strange because

I love people I’ve never even met before 

because being a daughter is not my calling

I was not raised to obey to sit

with my legs crossed and cry only alone in my room

in the shower or in bed

I was not raised to serve you just because

I raised myself to be a woman larger than life

with a gentle heart, a childless matriarch

a woman with choice

wise, careful, courageous 


my mother thinks I’m strange because though

I am a daughter of a wonderful daughter,

I am also so many other things

she thinks I’m strange because I’m willing

to let my name die with all the others

to love who’s right here in front of me

and not create love or a child from nothing 


everything I am is because my mother

thinks I’m strange

because after 27 years,

after sharing blood and a womb,

after your divorce, your new life and marriage,

therapy,

many addresses,

my scholarships and my degree,

finding Jesus,  

forgiving you and keeping your name 

in my prayers,

you’re still not so sure about me


everything I am is because after all of this,

I am still your bad daughter, 

a stain on our family’s reputation, 

our lineage of good women

a stranger in your home

after all of this,

my mother still can’t bear to see me,

understand me

even though she made my brain

and my heart with her body 


Michelle Smith

 “We are the Flowers that Bloom”   We are the flowers that bloom Behind the gate Planted firmly There should be no sorrow At nig...