Friday, May 31, 2024

Angel Guerrero


Stand Up 


Today I heard a woman crying in the streets 

She was bruised, weakened, and on her knees 

“My sisters” she choked out 

“Help stop this violence, today 

“Love me” she whimpered 

“Because by doing so, you love yourselves”  

“Protect me” she moaned as she slowly stood 

“For when you stand up for me 

You stand for all" 





LOLA 


I was never what you expected. You told me so 

I was not like your “others,” Blonde and blue-eyed. You told me so 

Your sorrow filled my life, but could not drown me 

I fought and kicked begging you to see me 

You only saw yourself, in my eyes, my hair, and face 

You looked and hated what you saw  

So, every flaw was magnified whether it existed or not 

I knew who you really hated; it did not hurt any less 

As a child I hid, and you did not try to find me 

As an adult I ran, but you did not try to catch me 

So, I lived, as though you no longer were alive, but you were 

You lived as though I had abandoned you, I did not, I saved myself 

In the end, on your deathbed, when faces no longer meant anything to you 

Surrounded by your “others” and me, you looked and saw no one you knew 

As you searched the room our eyes locked, you stared and nodded a final goodbye 

To the only face you recognized, the only face that looked just like you 





Fort Hood 


OH, SAY CAN YOU SEE, Fort Hood 

IN THE DAWN’S EARLY LIGHT, Fort Hood 

I stand in solidarity with the people of this beautiful land 

I stand and honor those who fell 

Those who were sacrificed for no reason  

WHAT SO PROUDLY WE HAIL’D, Fort Hood 

I stand small and brown against the red and blue horizon 

Watching our flag at half-mast  

WHOSE BROAD STRIPES AND BRIGHT STARS, Fort Hood 

I kneel and pray for those who lost their first child, their first loves 

Lives volunteered for love of country 

Lives rubbed out at their own countrymen’s hands  

OH SAY, Fort Hood, I can see 


Dan Brook

A Haiku Sequence on Abortion women’s rights are key abortion should be a choice pro-democracy   it seems so basic women’s rights are human r...