Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Mike Maggio


Raw Footage

            --after Leonard Cohen


I was sitting watching the news

and there were bombings and killings and all the usual kinds of violence

being perpetrated against innocent people in all parts of the world

and they were talking about this 16 year old Palestinian boy

who had strapped explosives around his waist

so that he could blow up some Israeli guards at the border crossing

and I was wondering what could make someone so young so desperate

and then they told us how the kids had all made fun of him because he was short

how he was promised 23 dollars and 7 virgins if he blew himself up

and then they brought his mother and she was crying and complaining

about the people who take advantage of children

the most vulnerable of the vulnerable in this sick sad world

and I asked myself how a people could become so hopeless

that they had so little left in this life, that they had given up everything

that the last and only thing they had to offer was the only way

they could imagine that there was even a glimmer of hope that they would get out of

this situation that had kept them prisoners for so many years

 

I was reading a book about the holocaust

and there was pain and suffering and pathos beyond the capacity of human endurance

and I remembered a time when I was a child of 6 or 7 years old

I was at a friend’s house and there was a movie playing on the TV

and I watched as a roomful of women holding babies and young children were herded naked into showers

and when the spigots were turned on there was gas instead of water

and I watched in horror as the women held on tight to their children

in their one last gasp of motherly love

and the pain was so great that I closed my eyes and wished that I hadn’t been there in that room at that time but the image by then was so seared into my memory

that even today as I write these words, as I wonder how much misery

could be caused in name of politics and power

the pain is still so great that I consider ending my life

just to stop it, just to ease it just a little bit

because so many people have suffered, so many people are still suffering at the hands of the greedy

for reasons that even the wildest animals could not comprehend

 

I was walking down Constitution Avenue

in this capitol of the free world

where the archives of democracy are housed in a museum not far from here

where the president of this great country resides in this not-so-great era of our history

and I came upon a man huddled by a fire wrapped in an oily, grimy cloth

and I looked beyond the feigned smile and the request for spare change

I looked into his vacant eyes and his hollow face and I saw raw fear

draped over his frail frame like a pall

the face of a man who was enduring the last indignity

in a long line of indignities his people had faced when they were wrested from their villages

when they were shackled and sold and beaten and stripped of every ounce of humanity

and I looked in his eyes and I saw myself

and I thought this could be me lying in the street hungry and cold

this could be my son, my daughter, my wife, my mother, my friend

it could be you my friend

it could be anyone of you, lying out there helpless and destitute

wondering what angry god could have allowed any and all of this to happen

 

I was sitting at my desk writing a poem

or a story or some other piece of nonsense

that some venerable publication might see fit to print between its pristine covers

and I was thinking that maybe I could make a difference

that maybe we could make a difference

that maybe we could do something about the pain

other than write poems or sing songs or paint pictures

or talk about it over cocktails or huffed over a hot mug of Starbucks

or hiding behind our newspapers in our cozy cafes

while the homeless and the destitute parade outside

like ghosts, invisible in their veils of pain

because it could be you my friend, yes you

or the person sitting beside you or the person sitting across the room

take a look now, stand up, walk around, try to feel your neighbor’s pain

because we are all in this together my friends

because my friends as we share this moment now

we are all getting closer to that time when we will eventually be in pain

whether we become destitute or homeless or maybe lose a spouse or a loved one or maybe you’ll wake up one morning and find yourself alone looking in the mirror

asking yourself what have I done with my life, wondering where all the friends are

as you pick up the razor blade and wonder whether you should use as directed

or to make one simple cut across the flat of your wrist instead

 

And I want you to promise me my friends, that when you leave here tonight

while you’re going home by yourself or with your loved one or with your friend

and you come upon someone who is in pain

maybe one of the homeless that live just behind this building

or the woman who has been abused by her husband

or the teenager who’s selling his body on the street corner

because he ran away from home and doesn’t know any other way to survive

or the man who is recklessly shooting his gun because he lost his job, or his wife or his best friend to some incomprehensible act of violence

or the street whore who hides her wretchedness behind a patina of heavy makeup

when you see any of these people I hope that you will go beyond your shrugged shoulder or your offer of spare change or your attempts to assuage your guilt

that you will do something bigger and braver to help ease the pain of your brothers and sisters

 

And if you promise me this tonight my friends, then maybe, just maybe, for just once

in these long, miserable, painful 52 years

I might get just one complete night of rest.

 


From deMockracy, Copyright 2007 Mike Maggio


 

 


PALESTINIAN DRIVER -- NEW ORLEANS


drives the trolley

along the riverfront

past Toulouse and Canal

this stop the French Quarter

next stop Cafe du Monde

 

greets passengers

from the riverwalk

wistful smile

thirty years

from Jerusalem

City of God

here in the City of Sin

 

Palestinian driver

faithful lover

peers at the tracks

caresses the controls

rolls graceful

in unison with the trolley

turns toward me

for brief remembrances of time

on the West Bank

of the Jordan

points to the West Bank

of the Mississippi

 

applies the brakes

helps passengers off

assists newcomers on

along the riverfront

rich earthy face

old-world facade

balconies dense with irises

cathedral nestled in Jackson Square

 

this trolley

with reversible wooden seats

this man transplanted

screeches with age

plies like Sisyphus condemned

back and forth

back and forth

 

one trolley

one man stranded in time

here on the riverfront

in the city

where life yawns heedlessly at the sky

 


 


Low on Water


Briefly wishful, the industrial grass wilted     no water               no sun      no powerful radiation

rays     no epoch nervous clouds of sorts       the near-death experience             no waifs

no humans       no beds         no apartments       just appalling darkness              obsessed

darkness                uncontested darkness        and we along often chased                    cheerfully blinded              a morsel of persia     a morsel of withered land       an iguana           a rubber band and flesh            a dish      a screw      a paper clip      an arid crack of soil    a hundred and twelve

 

and                        and

 


from Let’s Call It Paradise, Copyright 2022 by Mike Maggio

 

Michelle Smith

 “We are the Flowers that Bloom”   We are the flowers that bloom Behind the gate Planted firmly There should be no sorrow At nig...